Tuesday, September 29, 2009

The Art of Driving

So far I have collected some Bumper Guards for the Sol to go along with the EDM side markers I already have. I’m still in the search for new (old) wheels rather than refinishing my old ones. But, other than this small purchase I’m still waiting to hear back from a contact in the UK who is (hopefully) going to be getting me into one of just a handful of del Sol owners with the full oem EDM lip kit in the States. It’s exciting yes, but also somewhat nerve racking because I don’t yet actually have the pieces at my house yet. But enough of the car for a few minutes, I want print a quote from one of the most amazing car enthusiasts. This was a quote from when the writer was riding with one of the great drivers of the early days of road racing, Tazio Nuvolari.

"At the first bend, I had the clear sensation that Tazio had taken it badly and that we would end up in the ditch; I felt myself stiffen as I waited for the crunch. Instead, we found ourselves on the next straight with the car in a perfect position. I looked at him, his rugged face was calm, just as it always was, and certainly not the face of someone who had just escaped a hair-raising spin. I had the same sensation at the second bend. By the fourth or fifth bend I began to understand; in the meantime, I had noticed that through the entire bend Tazio did not lift his foot from the accelerator, and that, in fact, it was flat on the floor. As bend followed bend, I discovered his secret. Nuvolari entered the bend somewhat earlier than my driver's instinct would have told me to. But he went into the bend in an unusual way: with one movement he aimed the nose of the car at the inside edge, just where the curve itself started. His foot was flat down, and he had obviously changed down to the right gear before going through this fearsome rigmarole. In this way he put the car into a four-wheel drift, making the most of the thrust of the centrifugal force and keeping it on the road with the traction of the driving wheels. Throughout the bend the car shaved the inside edge, and when the bend turned into the straight the car was in the normal position for accelerating down it, with no need for any corrections."
Enzo Ferrari

No comments:

Post a Comment